Sunday, September 21, 2008

The New Girl in Town

I moved to Small Town just prior to this school year. Because it is a small town university, the students, by the time they're my age (20) are mostly established. They have their friends, their groups, their hang-outs, etc.

But being the new girl, I don't have any of those things. In some ways it makes things a little bit lonely, but mostly it's fun because the whole world is open to me. I haven't been pigeon-holed yet.

Today I went to church with my roommate, Janie. As we were walking down the hallway, two boys walked past us. Now, suffice it to say that one was gorgeous, the other... well... not so much. Janie grabbed my arm so hard that I thought she was having a heart attack.

"Holy Shnikeys!" (Yeah, she really said "shnikeys") "That's Spencer." From the dreamy look on her face, I gathered that there was some history there. I also realized that the cute boy was officially off limits to me, since I'm just NOT going to start off the semester by chasing my roomies crush.

Maybe in my second semester...

"Well," I said carefully. "Are we going to go talk to them?" Janie is a bit shy, and possibly a touch... uh... homely. Definitely not a pro at the flirting game yet. I have so much to teach her. haha.

She took a deep breath and said, "yeah. Let's go talk to them." She walked a bit faster to catch up with them and called out Spencer's name.

And the ugly dude turned around.

"Oh, hey Janie," said the not-very-attractive Spencer. I realized that Janie's crush was NOT the boy I'd been eyeing, which means that the hot one was NOT off limits...

Cue introductions and small talk and Janie talking in a voice that sounded a couple octaves too high... but she was super cute, and Spencer seemed really happy to reconnect with her. So, if nothing else, at least Janie has something to beam about.

As for the hot one, his name is Todd. And, in case I hadn't mentioned it yet, he's hot. Like... way hot. Haha. I have no idea if he's the slightest bit interested in me, but we'll find out soon enough. The boys invited us and our other roomies over for a movie at their apartment on Friday. We'll see how that goes...